I am slightly obsessed with avocado sauce. I find myself thinking of things to make just so I can top it with this magical stuff. A mix of spicy pickled jalapenos, lime, fresh cilantro, and creamy avocado take a whirl in the blender. Then you are in a really good place my friend. Top a piece of fish, chicken, veggies, or dig in with some tortilla chips.
While you are snacking on avocado sauce and chips, chop up some veggies and roast them in the oven. Then toss in some rinsed black beans. Next, crisp up some corn tortillas. Then, top the crispy tortillas with veggies, avocado sauce, and more fresh cilantro. It’s a beautiful thing.
Veggie Tostadas with Avocado Sauce
Crispy corn tortillas topped with roasted veggies, black beans, and avocado sauce.
For the tostadas:
1-2 tbs olive oil, or your favorite oil
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 red bell pepper, 1 cup, roughly chopped
1/2 red onion, 1 cup, roughly chopped
1 zucchini, 2 cups, diced
1 tbs taco seasoning
4-5 small corn tortillas
For the avocado sauce:
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 lime, juice and zest (About 1 tbs of juice)
pickled jalapenos to taste, plus a splash of the juice (I used about 10 slices for medium heat)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Toss the bell pepper, onion, and zucchini with olive oil, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Spread veggies evenly on a foil/parchment lined baking sheet making sure they don’t overlap or touch too much. If there are too many they will steam instead of roast.
- Roast for 20 minutes, shaking the pan halfway though. You want the veggies nice and golden.
- Avocado Sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients into a blender and zap until smooth and creamy. You may need a splash or two of water to help blend. Taste. Adjust salt if needed.
- When you have about 5 minutes left for the veggies to roast, toss the tortillas on another baking sheet. Spray the tortillas with olive oil spray and crisp in the oven. Flip about halfway though.
- Toss the black beans with the veggies.
- Top the tortillas with the veggie mixture, a dollop (or more) of the avocado sauce, and some fresh cilantro.
xo Ali Taylor