Chicken fajitas are one of the best meals to make when you have company coming over. You can prep all of your toppings and sauces before anyone comes over. Put them right into the serving dishes and pop them into the fridge until your ready. The chicken and veggies only take about 10-15 minutes to cook.
The best part? You can arrange the chicken and veggies on one big family style platter and everyone can serve themselves. Your guests can customize their fajitas with whatever they like. You can put them in a tortilla, a lettuce cup, or just eat them plain. Top with salsa, cheese, guacamole, sour cream…the list goes on and on. You can use chicken, steak, shrimp, or all veggies. Use what you and your family love. The spices and technique are what really matter here.
This would even be a fun way to mix up your next cookout. Throw the chicken on the grill and skewer the veggies. Everything else is the same.
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken cutlets
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs chili powder
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tbs garlic powder
½ lime, zest
2 bell peppers (I like red, yellow, and orange)
1 large onion
- Mix together the spice mix for the chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Season liberally with the spice mix.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Let them sit in the pan for a minute or so to get nice and golden before you start stirring them around occasionally.
- Heat another large skillet to medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the chicken and cook about 3-4 minutes on heat side; until completely cooked through. You might have to do this in two batches.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the peppers and onions to a serving dish.
- Slice the chicken and transfer to the same serving dish.
- Finish with fresh chopped cilantro and garnish with lime wedges.
- Serve in tortillas with any toppings that you enjoy.