Turkey sausage and kale pasta toss is the perfect weeknight meal. It is packed with greens, savory turkey sausage, and cheese. You cannot go wrong with this one! Just remember, pasta, and Italian food in general, is all about simplicity and balance. Good quality ingredients are key.
Start by browning one pound of sweet Italian turkey sausage in a medium high heat skillet with a drizzle of olive oil.
Do not be afraid of over browning the turkey. This will give the pasta toss tons of flavor.
Next, push the browned turkey sausage over to one side of the skillet. Add a drizzle of olive oil, one sliced onion, and a sprinkle of salt.
Let the onions saute until they are tender. Next add the baby kale, chicken stock, and chili flakes. Cover loosely with foil so the kale wilts and cooks into the sauce.
Once the pasta has finished cooking, reserve a cup of cooking water. Then drain the pasta and add it directly into the sauce. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil, top with cheese, and slowly pour in the cooking liquid a little at a time. (You might not need it all)
Toss the pasta with the sauce, adding cooking liquid as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Enjoy!
1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
4 cups baby kale
½ lb whole wheat farfalle
1 cup reserved pasta water
¼ cup chicken stock
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
¼ tsp red chili flakes
1/4-1/2 cup pecorino romano
- Boil the farfalle for one minute less than the package instructions. (Be sure to reserve one cup of pasta water before draining.)
- Brown the turkey sausage on medium high heat.
- Push the sausage to one side. Add a swirl of olive oil, onions, and a pinch of salt. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and kale. Cook until wilted.
- Add the pasta, a drizzle of olive oil, and cheese. Stir in pasta water to make a sauce. You may not need the entire cup.